Welcome!

Since 1938, Ann's Bakery has been serving the Tulsa area with delectable treats, wholesome goodies, and artistry that can't be matched. We hope you enjoy what we share and will come back again and again!

Monday, November 22, 2010

~Fall Fun~

It’s funny how when the weather starts getting colder and things start changing color, how the cravings for pie and bread start ruling our thoughts. Good thing for us!! I do love this time of year, it’s always a little difficult to adjust at first but the scenery and the cooler weather are definitely a plus. The last six weeks of the year are always our busiest, when it comes to sweet things other than cake; it’s a nice change, for a little while anyway. We have all been tossing around ideas for delicious new ideas for this season, maybe some tasty pecan treats, pecan brittle has been mentioned more than once. Of course, we will be making all of our usual goodies, pies, dinner rolls, cookies, cobblers, cakes, you name it! (Be sure and check out our website www.annsbakery.com for a complete list.) We are also working hard preparing for our big wedding show coming up in January. The Tulsa Wedding Show, it has always been a good show for us, and we look forward to planning for it and meeting new brides-to- be every year. If you didn’t already know, we are part of a wonderful wedding vendor referral group, The Tulsa Wedding Society, www.tulsaweddingsociety.com , it is a great, very professional group of highly talented individuals that specialize in weddings, and some are also involved in other areas but have come together in this forum to provide outstanding wedding services. They have proved to be a great group to be involved with and have become great friends in the process. I hope you check out the website!




Another idea we have been tossing around is the “gluten-free” options. I found out a few years ago that I have a gluten allergy, not severe, but definitely have improved health upon eliminating it from my diet. Imagine that!! Practically born and raised in a bakery and now I can’t eat most of it anymore! I still sneak some icing now and then, (often) and we do make our Turkish macaroon cookies without flour, so I can munch on those when I need a sweet. But….back to the point, I’m hoping I can make some gluten free options, in particular, cakes. If any one has any input, please email me at the bakery, annsbakery@sbcglobal.net, I would love to hear any ideas, feedback, etc… Our icing is already free from any gluten issues, so I’m just working on finding some good gluten free recipes. I will probably start small with just a few flavors of cake. And I am dying to have pie, so one of my sons is working on a gluten free pie crust. Our cream pies are all flour free excluding the crust, so that’s a good start!! Yippee!!



So happy to be in Tulsa, It’s such a great city! I can’t believe the wonderful growth in the past few years, makes me feel like there is a renewed pride in our fun little town! I was called to do a phone interview concerning the construction on the Tulsa streets. If you haven’t been down Harvard toward our place, it has been a mess for almost a year. Anyway, even though it has been a mess, we have gotten to know some of the workers; we made the effort to go out and approach them and ask them about the project. We also suggested (insisted) that while working in front of the bakery, while our main entrance was blocked, that they needed to come in for breakfast, and lunch to help us out!! Well, not only did they come in, they helped get us a sign posted to reroute our customers to an alternate entrance. Now that our entrance is back open, they still are coming in, buying goodies from us, and we feel we have made some good friends! Oh! Back to the interview…. I think they were wanting more of a negative, “I’m so tired of this mess…wish they would hurry…..etc etc etc….” but I decided to be positive, and praise them for doing a good job, being so conscientious about our business and helping us out. Little did I know that they actually played my interview and some of the workers heard it!! They were soooo appreciative that we spoke about them positively. I feel for them, they are just doing their jobs.



I guess that’s enough from me this week! My crazy other half will be in next week to entertain, I have to say I’m looking forward to it! Don’t forget to order your cakes, pies, rolls, and cookies!!! You will not be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment